Who am I?

Who am I?
A runner....or Herky the Hawk?

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

I hope I don't die

So, if you've been following my blog, you are aware that I have a race this Saturday. It's the Cedar Rapids Run the Flood, a new one for me. Races are fun. Typically, everyone is excited to run for the particular cause we are there for, some have personal records they are aiming for, and weaving in and out of the laughter and excitement is an adrenaline rush that eventually makes it's way to each and every participant.

Up until Saturday, I will have only run one mile races and 5Ks...this is a 7 mile race, folks, and I'd be lying if I told you that I'm excited for the race.

7 miles....7 miles.....7 miles....double a 5k....7miles...7 miles...I hope I don't die.

This is the string of thoughts that has been running through my head constantly the past few days...oh, and "What the hell was I thinking?!"

I know what I was thinking. When Tony told me about this race, he promoted it to me as a good training race to prepare me for the half marathon in October. That made perfect sense at the time because you have to build mileage in order to finish the 13.1 miles of the half marathon...but recently I've been shying away from committing myself to the half marathon. I won't go into the details because if you've been following me along this journey, you know the reasons.

You'll see in my Running Log that I haven't run in over a week, and I'll tell you now that I probably won't run again before Saturday's race. I have changed up my workout routine in hopes to bust out of the rut I'm in, but that change doesn't include running...unless I have a desire to log some miles. I've started a Spinning class and a weight lifting class at Aspen, and I'm hoping the change will boost my metabolism, improve my endurance, build muscle, and lose some inches. I'm not sure what it will do to my marathon training plan, but I'm having fun again, and right now, fun is what I need, or otherwise I will stop doing anything.

So, I ask that all of you out there think of me, offer any advice you may have...and if you dont' have any advice, prayers are very much appreciated. Prayers that I won't die Saturday, that I'll finish the race, that I'll find the fire within me that I need right now, and that I'll make a decision on the half-marathon so I can pull myself out of limbo are all accepted :o)

Thanks guys :)

1 comment:

  1. Here's my advice, have fun on Saturday. Enjoy the atmosphere, while you're running along the course look around at the rebuilt houses, the ones that are being rebuilt, the ones that need torn down and you'll probably see empty lots where houses used to be. You'll see firemen and police blocking off intersections. You'll see people cheering along the route. You might even see dad handing out water (he did 2 years ago). And once you cross the finish line and soak it all in, maybe relax a little and grab a shower, there is a promise of fried pickles and pizza for lunch.

    ReplyDelete