Who am I?

Who am I?
A runner....or Herky the Hawk?

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

I ain't skeered of no rain....

The treadmills were full today. As I walked by them, my excitement to run in  the rain and thunder grew. I LOVE TO RUN IN THE RAIN. A rainstorm is actually my ideal weather condition for a good run. People look at me like I'm crazy when I announce this, so let me explain.

When it's not raining, the air is still and the sun is usually beating down, a combination that produces heat, and lots of sweat. So in the still, hot air, I am left to try to think about how awesome I feel while running, how all the hard work is going to pay off and eventually I will have rock hard legs and no more cellulite. Pffftttt.....Yeah right! Sorry, I couldn't even type that with a straight face. Don't get me wrong, I TRY to think these things, but I always end up thinking the same thing "This sucks. My legs hurt."

But the rain....the rain, my friends, is the perfect distraction. I love the feeling of getting pelted in the face and legs and arms by cool raindrops. And when it's raining so heavy that I have trouble seeing because my hair is so drenched that the rain is dripping into my eyes...I am in Runner's Heaven, if there is such a place. Because while I'm focusing on the rain drops, I'm not thinking about my sore legs or the heat, and before I know it, I've already put in some decent mileage.

Is it all making sense now?

Yeah, so clearly I didn't hate today's run...Yay! Mini-victory for me! Actually, I can say that I don't hate running this week. I even signed up for a 5K on Saturday. I've had two 3.3 mile runs this week, and with a Zumba class tomorrow and a short run on Friday, I feel confident that I will earn that piece of pie at the end of the race.

All together now....Hip hip hooray for motivation!

2 comments:

  1. Near ideal running conditions today. If it was about 5-10 degrees cooler and it would have been perfect. Hopefully the weather cooperates on Saturday for the run through the awesome town of Waukee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How was the 5K? :) I"m so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete