Who am I?

Who am I?
A runner....or Herky the Hawk?

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Another fallen hero...

On Saturday, April 23rd, another Iowan soldier was killed fighting for our country, the third one in 13 days. Learning of a soldier's death always weighs on my heart, this one weighs much heavier. Staff Sgt. James Justice was the husband of my close friend Amanda, and daddy of Abby and Sydney's friend, Caydence.

I can't shake the memory of receiving AJ's (Amanda) call. I almost didn't answer because I was in the middle of a card game, but I did because she doesn't call just to chat. We work next to each other 40 hours a week, there's no need to. My cheerful "Hey, what's up?" was greeted with a cracked and quiet "Hi". I knew something was wrong...but the news that she was about to share hadn't even crossed my mind. James hadn't been in Afghanistan very long, a little over a month. This was his fourth tour,  he knew what he was doing. He knew better than to put himself in harm's danger. He was James Justice, always a party, but could easily turn bad-ass serious when necessary. It's not that bad over there...aren't they just playing with the children? These were all thoughts that immediately went through my mind, the last one I'm particularly ashamed of.

My thoughts of denial were reflected in my response: "No AJ, he can't be. Are you sure he's not just missing? Are they sure it's him?" And I didn't believe it until the press conference Sunday night.

It was him.

I've always appreciated the men and women who are fighting for my freedom and security so I can go to work and take my daughters to the park without worrying about our safety, but losing James and seeing the swollen red eyes and tear-streaked faces of his family on Sunday was a painful reminder of how expensive the cost for my freedom and safety is. It's sad how de-sensitized to the war we have become. When it started, 9 long years ago, we were vocal with our patriotism and pride in our troops...but over the years, we have gotten caught up with our own lives and routines and forgotten that there are still men and women fighting a war, not only fighting for us, but fighting for the innocent civilians in these countries. And living among us are the families who have graciously sacrificed their time with their loved ones so we can spend time with ours. James' sacrifice woke me up to the fact that there are men and women who die for our country every day. Every day, families receive the same news that Amanda and James' parents received on Saturday. Every day, there is a fallen hero that goes unnoticed.

Staff Sgt. James Justice was a husband, a father, a son, an uncle, and a best friend. He loved to remind AJ how lucky she was to have him...and he was right, we were all lucky to have met him and shared in his laughter. My favorite memory is the last time I saw James. He was making a trip out to Wal-Mart and he was wearing his sweatpants that were pulled up to the tops of his combat boots. I teased him about his outfit before he left, and when he returned from the store, he jokingly told his wife of all the underage girls that were hitting on him because of his sexy outfit. AJ rolled her eyes at her husband, unsuccessfully holding back a smile. My older daughter, Abby, remembers him as "a good dinner-maker, and funny". We all have our own memories of James that will now be our last.

James, I'm sorry I never had a chance to thank you for the sacrifice you made for me and the ones I love. However, it is a sacrifice that will never be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment